Friday, October 31

Halloween Poetry

A couple of years ago, I was going through old papers and such, and I ran across a very old green spiral notebook with one of my early literary efforts preserved in it. It's not Shakespeare, but it made me smile--in third grade my homeroom was classroom #3, and my class was known for being a bit rowdy. I reproduce the poem here, just as I found it. Hopefully it will make you smile too... Happy Halloween!
The Ghost of Classroom #3
by Amber Myers (age 8)
There’s a tapping at the window,
A moaning at the door,
And something ectoplasmic
Is sticking to the floor…
But don’t panic, don’t be frightened
By anything you see,
It’s really nothing special,
Just the Ghost of Classroom Three.
It doesn’t come out often,
Just once or twice a year,
It wanders around then,
Poof!
It disappears.
Sometimes it sits at the desk,
Marking books continuously,
But it’s really nothing special,
Just the Ghost of Classroom Three.
Some say it was a teacher
Who met a nasty end,
She had a class of nasty kids
That drove her around the bend.
And sometimes there is screaming,
And it weeps dismally,
But it’s really nothing special,
Just the Ghost of Classroom Three.
She swore she’d come and haunt them,
But they laughed and didn’t care,
And now she haunts the cupboard
(Which otherwise is bare).
And sometimes there are others,
A whole classroom full you can see,
Doing endless homework
For the Ghost of Classroom Three.
Some say it isn’t possible,
And it’s just a story,
But classroom three you must admit,
Feels different, sort of eerie.
And once upon the blackboard,
Someone wrote mysteriously,
‘I’ll haunt this school forever,
I’m the Ghost of Classroom Three.’
There’s a rapping at the desktops,
A rattling at the door,
And something is trying to get out
Of the teacher’s locked desk drawer.
But don’t panic, don’t be frightened,
Don’t scare too easily,
It’s really nothing special,
Just the Ghost of Classroom Three.

8 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing this, I'm smiling like a Jack-o-Lantern. Happy Haunting! - MK

    ReplyDelete
  2. D'awwww. That was very cute! Hope you had a good Halloween!

    ReplyDelete
  3. too cute!! heh you were pretty good at age 8... :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Our teacher used to read this to us back in 1990. I read it to my kids now. Cant remember who it's by.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You didn't write this. This is a poem by Brian Patten. Imagine trying to lie about something like this on the internet 🤣🤣🤣

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is my poem for drama class in hss

    ReplyDelete
  7. My mom made her 3rd grade classroom perform this poem for years. They turned off the lights and everything

    ReplyDelete